multi pane location freeze?

  1. #1
    ADK
    Guest

    multi pane location freeze?

    Using Office 2000:

    Is there a way to freeze a set of pains in two different locations?

    Example:

    Row 1 has my title heading/descriptions

    Row 300 has my totals for the items

    I'd like to see my totals at all times and have my title heading shown at
    all times make the in between scrollable.
    ---------------------------
    I thought maybe I can freeze row 1 and also do a split but office only lets
    you do one or the other.

    any help/suggestions?

    thanks

  2. #2
    ADK
    Guest

    oops

    sorry I meant panes, not pains :-)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: multi pane location freeze?

    Hi

    I always put my Totals at the top of the page, above the Header row, then
    Freeze panes below the header.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4

    Re: multi pane location freeze?

    Nope.

    You get one spot to freeze the pane.

    But you could open an new window:
    Window|new Window
    and then arrange them so that you can see each:
    window|arrange|horizontal

    As alternative, have you thought about putting the totals in row 1. Then you
    can freeze panes so that rows 1:x are always visible.

  5. #5
    ADK
    Guest

    Re: multi pane location freeze?

    Problem with that is it is a undesirable format when the sheet is printed.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    ADK
    Guest

    Re: multi pane location freeze?

    Is freeze the pane in one spot the same in newer versions of excel?

    Has this been added to a wish list (is there a wishlist?)?

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: multi pane location freeze?

    Hi

    Not if you define your Print area to start at Row 2.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  8. #8
    ADK
    Guest

    Re: multi pane location freeze?

    I noticed that in Office 12 screenshot it has SUM in the status bar.

    http://www.eweek.com/slideshow_viewe...93&po=4,00.asp

    Is there a way to use visual basic within excel to place info (like a cell
    value) in the status bar? ...or would this have to be an add-in?

  9. #9

    Re: multi pane location freeze?

    You can get Sum (or another function) in earlier versions of excel.

    Rightclick on the statusbar (bottom right corner, near the embossed boxes) and
    choose the function you want.

    You'll have to have more than one cell selected, though.

    And you can put stuff in the left side of the statusbar with code like:

    application.statusbar = activecell.value '.text 'if you want it formatted

    But it might be better to make a small macro that you can run anytime you want
    (assign it to a hot key combination) that shows what you want.

    It wouldn't have to be in an addin, but you could use an addin. You could also
    just use any old workbook that's open when excel opens.

    Lots of people use a workbook named personal.xls stored into their XLStart
    folder.

  10. #10
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: multi pane location freeze?

    Hi

    I should have added, you can still have your normal total row at its
    required position at the end of the report. This would show up in the print
    area, but by starting the print area at Row 2, you wouldn't get the
    duplicated set of values showing at the top of the report.

    If you didn't want the totals to be always visible on the screen, only when
    you are entering data, then a simple macro to switch Freeze panes to moving
    the screen down and locking at B3 rather than B2 would do the trick.

    Regards

    Roger Govier