refresh advanced filter results

  1. #1
    eagle
    Guest

    refresh advanced filter results

    Once an advanced filter has been set up in excel, is it possible to refresh
    the results of the filter if the source data changes?

    More background:
    I'm creating a tool for users who are not savvy with excel. They enter
    values against a list of names (A,B,C or D and 1,2,3 or 4). On another
    worksheet I want the names to be displayed in a grid: everyone with an A1
    goes into the top left of the grid, A2 next box to the right, etc.then
    B1,B2... in the next row of the grid. I'm trying to do this using advanced
    filters. The filters work when I set them up, but I don't know how to refresh
    the results. EG, for the user, when they go back to change a value against
    the original list, the name should move from one box in the grid to another.

  2. #2
    Suresh
    Guest

    RE: refresh advanced filter results

    One way is to create a table linked with the original input area table and
    then carry out advanced filter on the linked table filtering the data on the
    same location. You can create a macro to perform the advanced filter and
    assign it to a button so that users can update the new data and perform the
    filtering again by pressing the button.

  3. #3
    Max

    "eagle" wrote:
    > .. enter values against a list of names
    > (A,B,C or D and 1,2,3 or 4).
    > On another worksheet I want the names to be displayed
    > in a grid: everyone with an A1 goes into the top left of
    > the grid, A2 next box to the right, etc.then
    > B1,B2... in the next row of the grid.

    One interp on the intent &
    a play to automate it via non-array formulas ..

    Sample construct at:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/5123561
    Placing Data In Matrix by Coords eagle_misc.xls

    In Sheet1, names are entered in A2 down, and the "values" such as: A1, B2,
    C3, J9, etc are input in B2 down. Values entered are assumed unique.

    Names Val
    Name1 A1
    Name2 B2
    Name3 C3
    Name4 J9
    etc

    Let's also assume the max range of "values" is capped between: A1 to Z10,
    viz.: A1 - A10, B1 - B10, ... Z1 - Z10

    In Sheet2
    Put in A1:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(CHAR(ROW()+64)&COLUMN(),Sheet1!$B:$B,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$
    A,MATCH(CHAR(ROW()+64)&COLUMN(),Sheet1!$B:$B,0)))

    Copy A1 across 10 cols to J10, fill down 26 rows to J26

    A1:J26 will return the desired results, with names placed within the matrix
    according to the values entered in Sheet1
    --
    Rgds
    Max