Entering zeros in Excel

  1. #1
    AndrewA
    Guest

    Entering zeros in Excel

    I am creating a simple excel document into which I want to place address
    values such as Name, Street, Zip Code etc. Ultimately, I will do a Mail
    Merge with Word to create address labels.

    The problem: When I type into the field I have for zip codes, if the zip
    code starts with a zero (eg., 06787), Excel immediately deletes the zero and
    list the entry as "6787". I have tried to enable "zeros" in
    Tools/Options/View/Zero Values but can not get the program to allow the entry
    of "06787".

    What simple thing am I missing?

  2. #2
    Highlight the cells you wish to enter the zip code in and go to format>cells. Under category click custom, then under type enter 5 zeros. This will format the cells to accept leading zeros.

    Ed
    Last edited by nuver; 11-19-2005 at 11:54 AM.

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Entering zeros in Excel

    Either pre-format with TEXT or put an apostrophe in front when you type it
    in
    '014

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Entering zeros in Excel

    If you just need to display the leading zeros in the zip cod, try this:

    Format>Cells>Number
    \Type: Special
    \Select one of the zip code formats.
    \Click [OK]

    If you input 00123 it will change to 123 but will display as 00123

    If you want to retain the leading zeros as input in the cell:
    Format>Cells>Number
    \Type: TEXT
    \Click [OK]

    If you input 00123 it will retain that value display as 00123 (it won't be a
    number though)

    Does that help?

    Ron

  5. #5
    bernard liengme
    Guest

    Re: Entering zeros in Excel

    Select the range of cells and use Format|Cells->Number->Custom and enter
    00000 as the custom format.

    The view zero setting is used to display/hide values that compute t zero (no
    just a leading zero)

    best wishes
    Bernard

  6. #6

    Re: Entering zeros in Excel

    For the mail merge (if you use format|cells to show the leading 0's):

    Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:

    There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

    Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

    And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
    has instructions here:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/...ngWord2002.htm

    about half way down the page.

  7. #7
    AndrewA
    Guest

    RE: Entering zeros in Excel

    Huge Thanks to All!

    I tried Ron's initial suggestions which seems to solve the problem--like
    Photoshop, I guess there are lots of ways to fix a particular problem.

    Again, many thanks for the quick response.

  8. #8

    Format column

    Hi, do a custom format to the column or cell containing the zip codes.

    Right click on the cell or culumn containing the zip codes, go to "format cells" select the "number" tab then select "custom". Enter your own costom format by simply typing in "00000". Excel will then retain the 0 at the begining of your zip code.

    Plasim