Custom Formatting

  1. #1
    New York City

    Smile Custom Formatting

    I'm trying to create a custom format to enter in some data. This is what I've tried thus far and excel won't let me do it

    @##@-#@@#-####-@#@@

    I want to enter data that looks like this: B04Z-0FQ1-2323-U3FY

    Any help??

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Custom Formatting

    You can't create a custom format like that for text, only numbers
    You would need an event macro that will convert it but that means changing
    the values (or you can use a formula in another cell that will do it)

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Custom Formatting

    If you enter your data preceded with a single apostrophe, Excel will leave it
    alone.
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4

    Re: Custom Formatting

    Maybe you could enter the 16 character string, then use another cell to display
    the nicely formatted version:

    If you put
    in A1

    You could use this in B1:
    =IF(A1="","",IF(LEN(A1)<>16,"Error",
    LEFT(A1,4)&"-"&MID(A1,5,4)&"-"&MID(A1,9,4)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)))

    (all one cell)