fill series

  1. #1
    Tee
    Guest

    fill series

    I am working with mulitple workbooks that are linked to one master report
    that is to be updated with data entered in the workbooks. When I am creating
    a formula =sum('[Smith.xls]NOVEMBER 7'!$G$2), I want this formula to fill
    down the column but switch to the appropriate numbered row, i.e.
    =sum('[Smith.xls]NOVEMBER 7'!$G$3) but that is not working in Excel 2003.
    When I right click on the fill handle, I use to get a shortcut menu which
    would allow me to fill series but it's grayed out. I am manually entering
    the correct row number to make the formula have the correct information. Any
    help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.
    --
    Tee

  2. #2
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: FILL SERIES

    delete the $ sign in front of the 2
    this sign prevents the formula from changing
    this absolute reference is very useful if you do not want to change part of
    the formula.

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tee
    Guest

    Re: FILL SERIES

    Bill

    Thank you, thank you, thank you. That was it. I appreciate the quick
    response and solution.
    --
    Tee