I want to insert a note

  1. #1
    Sam
    Guest

    I want to insert a note

    I seem to remember on my mother's old Mac that you could insert an electronic
    'post it' note onto a file. I want to open an Excel spreadsheet and be faced
    with a vivid reminder of something I need to remember before doing any work.
    I know how to insert a cell comment and could use this instead but liked the
    impact of my mum's post it notes. Am I reaching for the stars?!

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: I want to insert a note

    This is an interesting question. If you have Outlook, then create a Note and
    save it on your desktop. Insert the note object into your worksheet and save
    the worksheet.

    When you open the workbook again, activate the object either manually or vai
    VBA
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: I want to insert a note

    Hi

    On some sheet, enter the note tex into some cell (probably it'll be wise to
    have a special sheet for this). Define this cell as named range
    (Insert>Name>Define), p.e. Note.

    Open VBA editor (Alt+F11)

    In VBA-Project window, right-click on ThisWorkbook for your excel file, and
    select 'View Code'. In VBA editor, select 'Workbook' from left dropdown - a
    dummy Open event is created.

    Edit the event like this:

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    If [Note] <> "" Then
    x = MsgBox([Note], vbOKOnly, "Note!")

    , close VBA editor, and save the workbook.

    From now on, whenever you have something entered into cell, defined as Note,
    this text is displayed when you open this workbook.

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: I want to insert a note

    An idea for advanced version:

    Create a new workbook. Into this workbook, enter names of folders, which
    contain your excel workbooks (or use UDF's to create such list).

    On some sheet, the list of all excel files in those folders is created (Open
    event, or macro)

    Whenever this code runs, it scans through all listed folders, and checks all
    *.xls files in them. When the file name doesn't exist in file list, it's
    added there. Probably you also have to remove all rows with names of files,
    not existing anymore in listed folders.

    For every file in list, into another column you can enter note text.

    You create Open events for all your excel files. The event looks for
    workbooks name in Notes.xls (or whatever name you give fot it), and displays
    according message, when there was some note stored.