Excel CSV files

  1. #1
    Chris
    Guest

    Excel CSV files

    Why when I open up an existing CSv file does it lose all its formatting. Why,
    when some cells are formatted as text do thay convert to general when the
    file is opened

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    If you open a .csv file in Notepad you will see that it has no format.

    As it's name implies, it is Values, Seperated by Commas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris

  3. #3
    RogerN
    Guest

    RE: Excel CSV files

    A CSV file is NOT an Excel file and does not have any formatting. It is just
    a text file which uses commas to de-limit the data CSV = Comma Separated
    Values. It often only opens within Excel if the extension .csv has been
    linked to Excel.

    If you want to use existing formating you need to have a previously
    formatted sheet and then copy and paste values.

    If you do ANY work on a CSV file in Excel you must save it as an Excel
    s/sheet or you will lose formatting and formulas.

    Excel does warn you.

    Roger