Why does a sumif use double speech marks

  1. #1
    owl37
    Guest

    Why does a sumif use double speech marks

    Hello,
    I have created a sumif formulas as follows:

    =SUMIF(E10:E21,">10",E10:E21)

    My question is why do you have to have the double speech marks around the >10?
    This doesn't seem to be needed in other formulas.
    Any ideas out there?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Ken Puls
    Guest

    Re: Why does a sumif use double speech marks

    Best I can give you is that MS programmed it that way. It's nothing you're
    doing wrong.

    From the help:
    SUMIF(range,criteria,sum_range)
    Range is the range of cells you want evaluated.

    Criteria is the criteria in the form of a number, expression, or text
    that defines which cells will be added. For example, criteria can be
    expressed as 32, "32", ">32", "apples".

    --
    Ken Puls
    www.officearticles.com