Horrific "Feature" uncovered at huge expense

  1. #1
    stebro
    Guest

    Horrific "Feature" uncovered at huge expense

    Today I sent an email that I wish I'd never sent - all because of an
    undocumented "feature" in MS Office. I maintain a spreadsheet of personal
    items with many tabs which happens to include a personalized calendar in one
    of the tabs. I wanted to cut and paste the calendar into the email as a
    visual of what I was trying to explain. In Excel I selected about 40 cells
    and "copied" it to the clipboard, then went to Outlook and selected "Paste
    Special" and selected Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object. Wha-la! My 40
    cells appeared in the email just as I intended - looked great - so I sent it.

    One of my co-workers came to me after he noticed the huge size of the email
    and showed me that what I had just done was sent all of my personal
    information - with the entire workbook (every blessed tab) to our entire
    business unit.

    O.K. Microsoft - what the *#%% is this all about? Since when did paste 40
    cells mean paste the entire workbook ???????

    Oh, if only the purpose of my existence is to serve as a warning to others
    that they would heed..... Sign me - depressed & embarrased (and make me
    the poster child for the next Southwest airlines "wanna get away?" ad...)

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Adam Kroger
    Guest

    Re: Horrific "Feature" uncovered at huge expense

    I've emailed portions of my spreadsheet many time, using almost the process
    you described, except I did not use "Pase Special" Just paste; it only sent
    the portion I copied.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Nick Pomponio
    Guest

    Re: Horrific "Feature" uncovered at huge expense

    I found this out the hard way, too. I had pasted an Excel Chart into
    Word and sent the document, only to find out that the entire
    spreadsheet had been included. It is also true of any of the Office
    applications, as well as many other, non-Microsoft products. If you
    paste an Excel Worksheet, or a Visio Diagram, etc., it seems that the
    entire contents of the file is included in order to provide a copy
    that can be completely reproduced and edited within the host
    application.

    Now I usually paste as a Picture or Bitmap. If I need to be even more
    cautious, I print the excerpt to PDF and send that instead.

  4. #4
    stebro
    Guest

    Thanks Everyone...

    It's very frustrating feeling like your voice isn't being heard by anyone
    who can make a difference, especially when a "feature" can cause so much
    damage, but it's good to know there are others who have had the same
    experiences. Thanks for sharing and validating.