Data Validation/Fill question

  1. #1
    Adam Kroger
    Guest

    Data Validation/Fill question

    I have a cell in my workbook that I would like to have filled from a
    dropdown list. The possible option number about 30 so a "Data Validation"
    would be unwieldly unless I could nest it, as the possibilities fall into 3
    to 4 catagories. Is there a way to do this? I thought about a combo box,
    but I want the same dropdown to be usable by approx. 120 cells. Is there a
    macro that could be done in wich I select the cell and then a pop-up window
    will allow the fill, or some way around this?

    I am using Excel 97.

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Data Validation/Fill question

    I think this might be a good place to start:
    Check dependent dropdown lists

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Adam Kroger
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation/Fill question

    A further elaboration of the type of data I want to get into the box,
    because I realized I didn't explain it very well. The following example
    isn't what I am trying to do, but it will draw the correct picture. The
    actual entries I want would be the name of cities. the nestings would be
    like State -> County -> City

    I have other data that will autofill into cells along the same row as the
    fill, with data related to the selection, that is already contained in a
    table on another sheet.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation/Fill question

    This may not be exactly what you want, but I'm hoping it's something you can
    work with.
    Let's use a test model:

    Start with a new workbook containing Sheet1 and Sheet2

    On Sheet1, set up the following:
    A1: LU_StateList
    B1: CntyStart
    C1: CntyEnd

    A2: State1
    A3: State2

    F1: LU_CountyList
    G1: LU_StCntyList
    H1: CityStart
    I1: CityEnd

    E2: State1
    E3: State1
    E4: State2
    E5: State2

    F2: County1
    F3: County2
    F4: County3
    F5: County4

    L1: LU_CityList
    K2: State1County1
    K3: State1County1
    K4: State1County1
    K5: State1County1
    K6: State1County2
    K7: State1County2
    K8: State1County2
    K9: State2County2
    K10: State2County3
    K11: State2County3
    K12: State2County3
    K13: State2County3
    K14: State2County4
    K15: State2County4
    K16: State2County4
    K17: State2County4

    L2: City1
    L3: City2
    L4: City3
    L5: City4
    L6: City5
    L7: City6
    L8: City7
    L9: City8
    L10: City9
    L11: City10
    L12: City11
    L13: City12
    L14: City13
    L15: City14
    L16: City15
    L17: City16

    B2: =MATCH(A2,$E$2:$E$5,0)-1
    Copy that to B3

    C2: =COUNTIF($E$2:$E$5,A2)
    Copy that to C3

    G2: =E2&F2
    Copy that to G5

    H2: =MATCH(E2&F2,$K$2:$K$17,0)-1
    Copy that to H5

    I2: =COUNTIF($K$2:$K$17,E2&F2)
    Copy that to I5

    Now, we need some range names:
    Insert>Name>Define
    RangeName Reference
    LU_CityList =Sheet1!$L$2:$L$17
    LU_CountyList =Sheet1!$F$2:$I$5
    LU_StateList =Sheet1!$A$2:$C$3
    LU_StCntyList =Sheet1!$G$2:$I$5

    Now for Sheet2...the data validations:
    A1: State
    B1: County
    C1: City

    A2: =OFFSET(LU_StateList,0,0,,1)
    Copy that cell down a few cells

    B2:
    =OFFSET(LU_CountyList,VLOOKUP(A2,LU_StateList,2,0),,VLOOKUP(A2,LU_StateList,3,0),1)
    Copy that cell down a few cells

    C2:
    =OFFSET(LU_CityList,VLOOKUP(A2&B2,LU_StCntyList,2,0),,VLOOKUP(A2&B2,LU_StCntyList,3,0),1)
    Copy that cell down a few cells

    Next...Testing
    Click A2 and select a state
    Click B2 and select a county (should correspond to the state)
    Click C2 and select a city (should correspond to the county/state)

    Try again for row3..using a different state.

    Something you can use?