Can I copy a table from Word into one cell in Excel without losing data? (Of

  1. #1

    Can I copy a table from Word into one cell in Excel without losing data? (Of

    I would like to copy a small table from Word into one cell in an Excel
    worksheet. The first column of the table is a list of numbers. I tried
    converting the table into text with manual line breaks and tab stops to
    divide columns and rows, but that didn't solve my problem.

    Excel pastes the data into several rows. When I try to merge them, I
    get a warning that the selection contains multiple data values, and
    merging into one cell keeps the upper-left most data only.

    What I tried that didn't work:
    * Formatting the Excel cells as text before pasting the data.
    * The various options for "Paste Special." The closest I got was
    inserting the table as a Document Object, which could be a workaround,
    I guess.
    What I am saving for when all else fails:
    * The obvious solution of copying row by row into one Excel cell.

    The data in the table is information about my dad's medications. I
    would like to have reference charts of how to identify the strength of
    each tablet by its color and markings. I got the info from the
    manufacturers' websites and entered it into tables in Word, which I
    would like to copy into a more comprehensive file I am creating in
    Excel. The first column of each table is the strength of the tablet,
    entered as 1 mg., 2 mg., etc. The subsequent columns describe the
    shape, color, and markings. There are 3 tables, each with about 4-5
    rows.

    Is there a way to copy each one - whether as a table or as text - into
    a single Excel cell without losing data?

    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Can I copy a table from Word into one cell in Excel without losing

    If you want to paste an entire Word table into a single Excel Cell, first
    select the table in Word and copy it. Then in Excel, while holding down the
    shift key, pull-down:

    Edit > Paste Picture

    You will now have a graphic on the worksheet. You can move and re-size to
    fit into a single cell,
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3

    Thanks for the reply! (Was: Can I copy a table from Word into one cell...)

    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did in fact figure that out, but
    I wondered whether there was a way to insert the table into one cell as
    text and not as a graphic. The graphic format does serve my purpose,
    though, so I will leave it at that and continue learning other Excel
    functions.

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Stanwood, WA
    MS-Off Ver

    Thumbs up Re: Can I copy a table from Word into one cell in Excel without losing data? (Of

    Yes. One of your prior answers almost had it right (except for pasting a picture). Here's the trick:
    1. Highlight the Word Table
    2. Enter Ctrl-C (to copy)
    3. Got to the Excel cell you want to paste the table into
    4. Select F2 (this puts you into line edit mode)
    5. Enter Cntrl-v (to paste)
    The table will be entered with each row on its own line and all rows within that cell.
    Note that line formatting and wrapping will not be preserved in the Excel document. But, if you
    start each table row in Word with a column for numbering rows, then they will be easy to identify
    in the Excel cell.

  5. #5
    Farnham, England
    MS-Off Ver
    O365 - whatever MS decide to put in O365 this week

    Re: Can I copy a table from Word into one cell in Excel without losing data? (Of

    RonSonntag, you nailed my problem in one! Hitting F2 was exactly what I needed to do to keep all the text from the Word cell in a single Excel cell. Many thanks.