Use Excel as front end to Access

  1. #1

    Use Excel as front end to Access

    I am looking to create some front end excel sheets that allow my users
    to view data stored in an access db. (note: my users DO NOT have
    access on their PCs)

    I have used linking and such from excel to access via MSquery, which
    works great for people who understand it.

    What I want to do is have the user open Excel and have it either
    execute a script or have a button that will allow data to be displayed.

    I don't want the users to be able to modify the workbook or underlying
    data in the database.

    Does anyone have any good suggestions or examples I could look at for
    ideas?

    This is my first foray into using Excel for this type of purpose. I
    have a pretty good understanding of access forms/reports etc but an
    clueless when trying to do something like this by treating Excel as a
    front end.

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Use Excel as front end to Access

    I have a similar project. I have set up templates in Excel and use ADO
    to extract data from Access to populate those templates based on some
    user selections. I found Ole Erlandsen's ADO examples very usefull when
    setting this up. See specifically:
    http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...badacimportado

    Hope this helps
    Rowan