does excel support barcode scanning?

  1. #1
    Jase
    Guest

    does excel support barcode scanning?

    I wish to use excel for inventory and would like to use a barcode scanner to
    import serial numbers etc. Can you do this in excel?

  2. #2
    JoeUser
    Guest

    Excel does support barcode scanning

    Hello,

    Barcode scanner is just like a keyboard, so it should work in any
    application which supports keyboard (accepts keyboard input). A customer of
    mine asked me to test his barcode scanner, and I just tested the scanner in
    Excel, Word, Notepad and Wordpad. Worked perfectly.

    Best Regards

  3. #3
    Jase
    Guest

    RE: Excel does support barcode scanning

    Hey Joe,
    Thanks for the reply.Sorry about the lameness of the question but how did
    you test it within excel, how do you get the information into those various
    applications?

  4. #4
    JoeUser
    Guest

    RE: Excel does support barcode scanning

    Hello,

    Just scanned some barcode. In Excel and all applications I tested, whatever
    I scanned went to the active position of the cursor.

    Best Regards

  5. #5
    Jase
    Guest

    RE: Excel does support barcode scanning

    Thanks champ, I'll give it a whirl tomorrow!

  6. #6
    Chipmunk
    Guest

    RE: Excel does support barcode scanning

    You may need to ensure that a "barcode" font is loaded in the font directory.

  7. #7
    Jase
    Guest

    RE: Excel does support barcode scanning

    How do I load and get a "barcode" font? I have the scanner plugged in an
    beepng as I scan a barcode but nothing is transfering into excel, I do have
    excel open at the time.
    Thanks

  8. #8
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Excel does support barcode scanning

    If you purchased a scanner, I would think you got a CD with fonts; however,
    that is certainly not always the case. You can obtain free barcode fonts
    take a look at the related area of http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm
    if you still need an answer to the last question you asked. Actually the
    barcode font would only apply to printing. You should get the numbers loaded
    into the cell as noted in the original reply you got. I would assign a Helper
    column alongside =A1 and format the helper column with the barcode font.
    ---
    HTH,

  9. #9
    Jase
    Guest

    Re: Excel does support barcode scanning

    Thanks guys. Fortunately I got it cranked up and have managed to get the
    serial numbers into my excel spreadsheet. The problem was setting the correct
    parameters for the scanner itself. Now I will have a play around and see what
    else I can do with it.