Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

  1. #1

    Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

    Hi,

    I use an Excel 2003 spreadsheet for my company accounts and in order to
    maintain data order of entries I need to insert lines between existing
    lines in the spreadsheet, maintaining the formulas and formats of the
    preceding lines but leaving the data fields of the new line blank in
    readiness for the new data.

    Can anyone tell me how to do this ?

    Thanks,

    David

  2. #2
    amag
    Guest

    Re: Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

    insert row it will automatically take the format of the row above it

  3. #3

    Re: Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

    > insert row it will automatically take the format of the row above it

    Nope.

    David

  4. #4
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use an Excel 2003 spreadsheet for my company accounts and in order to
    > maintain data order of entries I need to insert lines between existing
    > lines in the spreadsheet, maintaining the formulas and formats of the
    > preceding lines but leaving the data fields of the new line blank in
    > readiness for the new data.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to do this ?
    >
    > Thanks,

    David

    If inserting a line doesn't carry formats from the previous line, then
    insert lines as needed, select the line to be copied, copy, paste special to
    the inserted rows. Select "fomulas and number formats". Does this work for
    you, or too long a process? (I'm using Excel 2002)

    beege

  5. #5

    Re: Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

    >> I use an Excel 2003 spreadsheet for my company accounts and
    >> in order to maintain data order of entries I need to insert lines
    >> between existing lines in the spreadsheet, maintaining the
    >> formulas and formats of the preceding lines but leaving the data
    >> fields of the new line blank in readiness for the new data.

    > If inserting a line doesn't carry formats from the previous line,
    > then insert lines as needed, select the line to be copied, copy,
    > paste special to the inserted rows. Select "fomulas and
    > number formats". Does this work for you, or too long a
    > process? (I'm using Excel 2002)

    Well, that;s what I've been doing, but it's an almighty nuisance and
    then you have to clear the pasted data from the new cells afterwards...

    I'm sorry to moan, but this seems like such obviously necessary
    functionality that I really cannot understand why it's not more simply
    available in the interface?

    Thanks,

    David

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

    David

    Tools>Options>Edit "extend formats and formulas" will look after the
    formatting.

    David McRitchie's INSERTROW macro will look after both formulas and
    formatting.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  7. #7
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

    > ...I need to insert lines
    > between existing lines in the spreadsheet, maintaining the
    > formulas and formats of the preceding lines

    Don't know if these keyboard shortcuts will work for you, but these I use
    often enough...
    Shift + Spacebar ...select entire row.
    Ctrl+Shift "+" to Insert Row
    Ctrl + "D" to copy the row above, down to present row

    Hope these help.
    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  8. #8
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

    Hi David,
    See
    Insert a Row using a Macro to maintain formulas
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm

    The use of Extend Formulas does not work well unless all of the cells
    are filled in consistently above -- in other words a debit column and
    a credit column spells failure.
    ---
    HTH,

  9. #9

    Re: Insert Line maintaining formatting and formulas from preceding line

    Thanks to all for the answers, the macro worked for me.

    If anyone from the Microsoft Excel team is listening then I hope you
    don't mind me giving my opinion that I really think this issue needs to
    be addressed in the "Insert Line" menu somehow.

    Thanks again,

    David