A filename suddenly has [Group] at the end in title bar. Meaning?

  1. #1
    paulv
    Guest

    A filename suddenly has [Group] at the end in title bar. Meaning?

    Using Excel 2002 SP3. I have been working with an excel file with the same
    file name and path for several years. Today suddenly when I opened the file,
    the file name on the title bar has [Group] after the name. I also noticed at
    the same time that several of the formula cells are not getting updated
    properly until I go to the cell and edit it (making no changes) then it shows
    the correct value. [ I hit F2 to edit then return with no changes and then
    the values display properly.].

    Does anyone what this [group] at the end of the file name in the title bar
    means? It is only happening with this one file....

    Thanks for any help you can provide!

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: A filename suddenly has [Group] at the end in title bar. Meaning?

    Paul,

    The [Group] means that you have two or more worksheets grouped
    together, and any changes made to one will be made to all. Right
    click a tab and choose Ungroup.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: A filename suddenly has [Group] at the end in title bar. Meaning?

    Look at the worksheet tabs at the bottom of the Excel window; your tabs
    (Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3) will all be the same colour (white by default)
    because you have grouped (joined) your worksheets. If you type X in cell A1,
    then every one of the grouped sheets will get X in A1.
    To ungroup click on one of the grouped tabs OR right click a tab and select
    Ungroup Sheets
    Have a great evening - all is now well!
    best wishes

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  4. #4
    paulv
    Guest

    Re: A filename suddenly has [Group] at the end in title bar. Meani

    Chip,
    Excellent. Thank you so much!

    I still don't know why I need to refresh cells that have formulas to get
    them to display the proper result though.... Let me know if you have any
    ideas? This seems to have happened at the same time that my worksheets
    accidentally got grouped together.
    Paul

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: A filename suddenly has [Group] at the end in title bar. Meaning?

    Paul

    See Chip's and Bernard's posts for what [group] means.

    NOTE: check you data on the sheets carefully. If you don't know how long
    these have been grouped, you may have done some damage.

    Whatever you have done on the active sheet will have been done to all others.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: A filename suddenly has [Group] at the end in title bar. Meani

    Paul

    Check out Tools>Options>Calculation. Automatic or Manual?

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  7. #7
    paulv
    Guest

    Re: A filename suddenly has [Group] at the end in title bar. Meani

    Good grief ... that was the problem. I don't know how it got changed.
    Thanks for the quick help everyone!!
    Paul

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: A filename suddenly has [Group] at the end in title bar. Meani

    Paul

    Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first
    workbook opened in that session.

    i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc
    mode would be in Manual.

    If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and opened it after Book1, Book2
    would be in manual mode(Excel ignores the auto calc mode in this case).

    If you close Book1 before opening Book2, Book2 will be in auto calc mode.

    Confusing enough? <g>

    Gord