Excel should format time down to the hundredth/sec.

  1. #1
    John Krick
    Guest

    Excel should format time down to the hundredth/sec.

    I would like to be able to format the cells within Excel so that if I typed
    in my athlete's time from a race as 153268 or 3245, it would show up in the
    cell as 15:32.68 or :32.45 respectively. I would also like to be able to
    then add or subtract time in that same format. Right now I can only format
    the cell to display those times as 15:32.6 or 00:00.0 (nothing at all). I do
    race time analysis with excel but I have to convert the time into all seconds
    if I want to add/subtract/divide or whatever. Can you add a format that
    would recognize time not in the sense of how a clock on the wall is read but
    how a stop watch is recognized?

    I'm currently using the MIcrosoft Office Excel 2003 version.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Excel should format time down to the hundredth/sec.

    How would excel know how to do that compared if you meant to type in the
    number 153268 since formatting never changes the underlying value
    just the display, for people that find it too hard to type in colons there
    are VBA solutions like in here

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

    Peo Sjoblom

    "John Krick" <John [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to be able to format the cells within Excel so that if I

    typed
    > in my athlete's time from a race as 153268 or 3245, it would show up in

    the
    > cell as 15:32.68 or :32.45 respectively. I would also like to be able to
    > then add or subtract time in that same format. Right now I can only

    format
    > the cell to display those times as 15:32.6 or 00:00.0 (nothing at all). I

    do
    > race time analysis with excel but I have to convert the time into all

    seconds
    > if I want to add/subtract/divide or whatever. Can you add a format that
    > would recognize time not in the sense of how a clock on the wall is read

    but
    > how a stop watch is recognized?
    >
    > I'm currently using the MIcrosoft Office Excel 2003 version.
    >
    > ----------------

    this

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Excel should format time down to the hundredth/sec.

    If you format your cell with Format/Cell/Number/Custom

    mm:ss.00

    you can display 15:32.68, and you can always use that value to add and
    subtract. It won't necessarily show up that way in the formula bar, but
    it will in the cell.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    Re: Excel should format time down to the hundredth/sec.

    Colons help to define the fields and avoid confusion. You can set up custom
    formatting that will allow you to work in thousandths of a sec:

    hh:mm:ss.000 with more than necessary precision:
    formatted general
    01:00:00.000 0.041666666667
    00:01:00.000 0.000694444444
    00:00:01.000 0.000011574074