Number changes to formula

  1. #1
    nohotin
    Guest

    Number changes to formula

    When I paste a credit card number into Excel spreadsheet, it either changes
    it to a formula (like 4.22242223242452+15) or rounds the last two digits UP.
    I've tried ALL the number formats, and it still happens.

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Number changes to formula

    Format the cells as Text.

  3. #3
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Number changes to formula

    Number can only be 15 digits long. Large numbers are usually shown in
    scientific format when using General format. If you want the number to show
    you will need to format it as text before you enter the number, or precede
    your number with an apostrephe like so
    '1234567890123456
    (NOTE: The apostrophe won't show)

  4. #4
    nohotin
    Guest

    Re: Number changes to formula

    No. That doesn't work. It won't take 16 digit numbers without either changing
    them to a formula or altering the last digit to a 0.

  5. #5
    nohotin
    Guest

    RE: Number changes to formula

    That means I have to retype the number. Can I change the number of digits to
    16?

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Number changes to formula

    No you can't

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: Number changes to formula

    Did you follow Dave O's suggestion? If you Format|Cells... Number tab,
    select the Text format, it will accept your credit card number as
    entered without any loss of precision.

    Kostis Vezerides

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Number changes to formula

    I think what the OP meant was if he/she could change the format on already
    entered truncated numbers, it also looks as he/she pastes info
    as well

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Number changes to formula

    When you insert numbers that have more than 15 digits, you permanently lose
    any digits beyond the 15th (I don't think it rounds, it simply turns them
    into 0's). You have no choice but to retype the number if you didn't format
    the cell as text beforehand or use an apostrophe to begin with.

    Also, if you are copy and pasting information, you might need to paste
    special and select values. Sometimes when you paste a number it will paste
    the number format as well.