Data, Validation

  1. #1
    Laura \( '_' \)
    Guest

    Data, Validation

    BlankHiya,
    In the data validation, to make a drop down list, what is the highest amount
    of characters that can be used and would I be able to get more space,
    because I would like a drop down of about 50 names.
    TIA

    --
    @---}--
    Laura.....

    "Do you know where you're going to?"

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    I currently use a data validation dropdown with around 50 names in the list so that shouldn't propose a problem. The only thing that I don't like about it is that the larger your list, the smaller the names become so it is very hard for your users to read them. I usually use a combo box or list box because you can change the format of the text as it appears to your users whereas in Data Validation you cannot.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. #3

    Re: Data, Validation

    I think it's 255 (or 256) characters.

    But you could put that list of names on a different worksheet (hidden???). And
    give it a nice range name and use that for your data|validation list.

    Debra Dalgleish explains it:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html#Dropdown

  4. #4

    Re: Data, Validation

    A little test returned 255 as the max.

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Sorry! I misunderstood the question. The characters in the Source box are limited but you can refer to a list in a separate column or worksheet as Dave said.

    Steve

  6. #6
    Laura \( '_' \)
    Guest

    Re: Data, Validation

    >But you could put that list of names on a different worksheet
    >(hidden???). And
    >give it a nice range name and use that for your data|validation >list.

    Thanks for your help Dave and Steve, but I don't even know where 2 start!!!
    I'm sorry but I only started using Excel a few days ago so Im a complete
    beginner and Im trying to learn step by step.
    Could you please explain how to do the above quote.

    Thankyou both very much!
    --
    @---}--
    Laura.....
    Liverpool, England

    "Do you know where you're going to?"
    "SteveG" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  7. #7

    Re: Data, Validation

    Debra Dalgleish has some very nice instructions (including pictures) for working
    with data|validation at:

    In particular:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html#Dropdown

    Take a look at that site and post back if you have questions.

  8. #8
    Laura \( '_' \)
    Guest

    Re: Data, Validation