Restrict entry types

  1. #1

    Restrict entry types

    Hi,
    I have (rather stupidly) put myself up to whip up a spreadsheet for work which is due to be unveiled at a meeting this morning.

    there are a few things which i'm struggling on, although i'm certain they are relativley simply to implement.

    1. I need to restrict the date entry so that it views with /slahes as apposed to anything else. So even if someone inputs 29.11.05 it will automatically default to 29/11/2005
    2. Similar problem with the time i need the time to default to 12:00 as opposed to 12.00 or any other value

    This is because they are going to be exported into a database and nned to be in that format to export properly.

    Also i need to create a drop down list of suppliers to selct from. How do i do that?

    Finally, how do i create a box to automatically email to a designated mailbox?

    Thanks so much to anyone who can help, i am praying i can get this done by tomorrow or else i'm goosed.

    Thanks

    Luke

  2. #2

    Re: Restrict entry types

    1. One way is to use data|validation to allow them to only enter dates--any way
    they want--but they have to be dates.

    Data|validation|allow Date (and give a nice range).

    It won't help the user if he/she types 12.31.2005, but it will yell at them.

    2. Same kind of thing with Time.

    3. Look at Data|validation and allow a list.

    Debra Dalgleish has some very nice instructions (including pictures) for working
    with data|validation at:

    In particular:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html#Dropdown

    4. Tell them to hit file|send to (and do some typing)

    or you could read all about sending email using excel at Ron de Bruin's site:
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm