How to paste an item multiple times in a column

  1. #1
    Rock
    Guest

    How to paste an item multiple times in a column

    Hi,

    I have had to add column with the manufacturer's name and as there are
    100's of products to each manufacturer I need to add each manufacturer's
    name at the one time if possible.

    At the moment it says I have a single cell and can't add to multiple ones.

    Any help here please?

    Thanks

    Rock

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to paste an item multiple times in a column

    Re-describe your problem with some example data(do not attach a file).

    Add column?

    Add each name at one time?

    How is the data laid out?

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Rock
    Guest

    Re: How to paste an item multiple times in a column

    Sorry!

    > Re-describe your problem with some example data(do not attach a file).

    > Add column?

    There are many rows, each of them being a particular product. The row
    contains details about the product but it did not have a manufacturer
    column and we need that, so I added one at the beginning of the row.

    > Add each name at one time?

    These rows (products) are products from different manufactures.
    For example Epson may have 20 rows (products) HP 100 etc.

    > How is the data laid out?

    Apple 3 M4683G/A-g 235.0000 1
    Apple 4 M5983G/A-g 399.0000 1
    Brother 5 DR-200-g 249.0000 2

    Instead of having to put the manufacturer in one at a time. I want to be
    able to paste in several rows into the manufacture column at a time.

    Thanks

    Rock

  4. #4

    Re: How to paste an item multiple times in a column

    One manual way is to select the cells that get the same manufacturer.
    Click on the first and ctrl-click on subsequent
    then type your manufacturer's name
    but hit ctrl-enter (instead of just enter) to fill the selected cells.

    If you can pick out something in the product column (begins with M (maybe), you
    could apply data|filter and just show those values. It might make it a bit
    easier to add your data.

    Ps. If you click on one cell and shift-click on another, you'll select all the
    cells between them.

  5. #5
    Rock
    Guest

    Re: How to paste an item multiple times in a column

    Thank you Dave. That was perfect.. and fast!!

    I have another post about changing the decimal in the $ c column. For
    some reason they have come from the MySql database as.. 45.0000 (four
    zeros) That's okay in mySQL I guess, but for a flat hard copy it's
    better just two cents.

    Anyway I'll offer the post separately as per etiquette.

  6. #6

    Re: How to paste an item multiple times in a column

    I don't know about SQL, but could you just give it a nice numberformat after
    you've imported the data?