Unable to unmerge/merge cells

  1. #1
    Dan McCollick
    Guest

    Unable to unmerge/merge cells

    Hi all, excel 2k2;

    I have a row of data, the first two columns are merged(row 2 and row 3)
    then the next n columns are "normal" cells. I can not merge any of
    these cells to match the first two.(I just want to merge row 2 and 3 in
    column 3, then in column 4, etc). Alos i can not unmerge columns 1 and
    2??

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Dan McCollick
    Guest

    Re: Unable to unmerge/merge cells

    Also, these cells were changed to "pick from list", but now, when i
    click on them and try to go to the validation dropdown it is greyed
    out??

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Unable to unmerge/merge cells

    Dan

    Is your worksheet "protected"?

    Check Tools>Protection. Is "unprotect sheet" available?

    You may have to enter a password.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Unable to unmerge/merge cells

    Dan

    "Pick from list" function has nothing to do with Validation.

    Perhaps you mean you set up a Data Validation>List in those cells?

    Check again for a protected sheet.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Dan McCollick
    Guest

    Re: Unable to unmerge/merge cells

    Gord,
    The sheet and workbook are not protected.
    I clicked on Data on the menu bar, and then Validation to setup the
    list...but this option is now grayed out. I may just start from
    scratch as there is not too much data.