convert text to numbers

  1. #1
    drs
    Guest

    convert text to numbers

    I have negative numbers in my worksheet that are text such as –6.90%. I try
    converting them to number using the paste special multiple or add and they
    stay as text. When I sort the columns in descending order they continue to
    come out as text and right justified. could it be the the negative sign is
    not a real negative sign.
    –6.90%
    –5.61%
    –5.37%
    –35.80%

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: convert text to numbers

    Hi

    Copy one minus-sign
    Select the range with values. Check, that range is formatted as numeric or
    general.
    Replace all minus-signs with "-". It's done! (you had there 'long -', which
    you get when you enter double '-' p.e. in MS Word.)

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    drs
    Guest

    Re: convert text to numbers

    I think I'm doing this wrong. I selected my range of cells and made all cells
    'percentage'.
    I tried a replace "--" to"-" and it didn't find anything.

  4. #4
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: convert text to numbers

    No!

    You must copy 'double-minus' from one of cells.
    – (that is what you have there, it's ASCII code = 150) doesn't equal --