Is Gary's Student here

  1. #1
    zmr325
    Guest

    Is Gary's Student here

    If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

    I need help finding a solution for formula I can not write.

    Column

    a b c d e
    date open high low close

    data for b,c,d,e go lets say to row a125

    now in column f and g I have two =if statements with about 4 logical strings
    to place a BUY in f and a SELL in g

    Now what I need to do is write a formula for a stop loss record. It should
    be if you have a buy signal you need the low to be >= whatever variable you
    are going to use. I took the close of the period that you got the buy signal
    minus 6. So I need a way to calculate each timeframe (cell) to tell me
    whether the low has gone through that 6 point stop or each the system
    generated a new signal which would be a sell signal. THe opposite would then
    hold true for the Sell signal. But it would be with the HIGH being greater
    than the signal(close) plus 6. DO you think that you could help or anybody.
    I would greatly appreciate it.

    Thank you
    NOel

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Is Gary's Student here

    I am here, but can't respond immediately.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Is Gary's Student here

    That is very confusing (at least to me). Can you give an example?

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    zmr325
    Guest

    Re: Is Gary's Student here

    I will try to write it out like this:

    a b c d e f g h i
    Open High Low Close
    1 Date 10 15 8 8
    2 " 8 12 7 9 buy
    3 " 9 20 9 16
    4 " 15 23 14 18
    5 " 15 17 9 10 sell
    6 "
    7 "
    8 "

    Ok that is what my spreadsheet looks like. I have =if(and()) statements in
    f and g to give me those "buy" and "sell" signals. Now what I want to do is
    write a formula saying that if I have a "BUY" like in f2 stop me out or cover
    my position if the low in how ever many time frames equals or is less than
    the close when i had the buy, keep doing this until I have reversed positions
    to get a Sell signal or am stopped out. Then do it for the next signal.
    But for the Sell signal it will be agianst the high because you want the
    market to go lower. DOes this help?

    Thank you

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Is Gary's Student here

    There is a lot more information there, but what does stopped out mean? And
    what will the formula determine, a number or some text?

  6. #6
    zmr325
    Guest

    Re: Is Gary's Student here

    Basically what stopped out means that say you purchased a stock at $93.00.
    You have a stop loss of say $5. If the price falls below the $88 level you
    would sell one to get out of your position. You got stopped out. The market
    didn't go higher it went lower. The same is true for the short side. Say
    you sold a stock at $50 and you stop it out at $56. That means if the market
    rose and went against you and went through $56 you would have to buy that to
    get flat your position. Stop losses are just ways to reduce your risk. I
    don't mind if it is a value or text, but probably text would be easier to see
    and adjust your system. Thank you, hope this helps

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Is Gary's Student here

    I think I am getting deeper into this than I want to :-))

    I guess I basically understand most of that, but I don't really see how it
    applies to the example you posted. As I read your example, that you gave,
    there are 4 prices for the day, but nowhere do I see quantity, or where that
    stop loss is calculated. I don't understand how you know that the stop loss
    is $5, or how you know you have to sell 1 or whether you have 1 to sell.

    Are we dealing with just one stock here or many?

  8. #8
    zmr325
    Guest

    Re: Is Gary's Student here

    hi bob,

    We are dealing with one commodity here. The four prices that you see are
    the open, high, low, and close for that day. All of my entry's and exits
    will be off of the close price if that helps. I am trying to write this to
    figure out what is the best stop price for me. But you know if the system
    gives you a buy that you will need to sell 1 either on a stop or when the
    system gives you a sell signal. Thank you for your time, hopefully this will
    help. I have posted the full sheet if this will help you. I can't remember
    where it is but i think it is in excel general with the headline be Help with
    this formula.

    Noel

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Is Gary's Student here

    Noel,

    I have responded to other thread. That is clearer (at least to me), so let's
    continue there.