Comparing text and returning boolean values

  1. #1

    Comparing text and returning boolean values

    Hi, I need to compare text values in one cell to text values in another range of cells. Basically I need a formula that tells me if the text in cell E406 equals the text in any of the cells between M3 and M403. I tried =E406=M3:M403, but that didn't work. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    How about this:

    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(E406,$M$3:$M$403,0))

    Does that help?
    Ron

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Comparing text and returning boolean values

    if you only need to know if there is a match try
    =vlookup(E406,M3:M403,1,false)
    you will get an error message if there is no match

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Comparing text and returning boolean values

    Hi!

    Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    =OR(E406=M3:M403)

    Biff

    "nicoleeee" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Comparing text and returning boolean values

    Try this:

    =COUNTIF(M3:M403,E406)>0

    For True or False,
    Or, eliminate the ">0" to return a count of matches.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  6. #6
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Comparing text and returning boolean values

    Any chance that your clock might be off?<g>

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Comparing text and returning boolean values

    The short answer: No, RagDyer, my clock is not off (sheesh)....but, read on
    if you've got nothing better to do.

    The long answer to the inferred question:
    At first I was a little puzzled by the comment about my clock, then I
    remembered . . .
    A while ago, I mentioned that ExcelTip.com had begun uploading their forum
    activity to the MS Excel newsgroups every few minutes, BUT only pulled from
    there once per hour. I got back helpful responses about using a newsreader
    and firewalls, but here's the gist:

    If a user posts directly to the ExcelTip forum, then I figure that's where
    they'll look for a response. Consequently, if I want them to get my response
    with the least amount of delay (up to an hour), I post my reply on that same
    forum.

    After reading your post and seeing that it came from the MS Excel newsgroup,
    I went there to respond. According to that forum, I was 4th in the response
    line, even though, I was first on the ExcelTip forum and never even knew
    there were other posts queuing up from the MS newsgroup. So I was both early
    AND late! <vbg>

    Ron

  8. #8
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Comparing text and returning boolean values

    I remember reading something about that.

    So that's why sometimes answers are displayed here, that give the impression
    that you're being ignored, and a "later" post is acknowledged, as if it were
    the *only* response in the thread.

    And ... I *DO* apologize!

  9. #9
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Comparing text and returning boolean values

    No need to apologize, RD.

    If you ever check the ExcelTip forum, you'll see that the same problem
    occurs:
    OP posts an issue, an immediate response solves the problem, OP thanks
    responder....then..an hour later a flurry of posts from the MS form arrives
    (usually around 5 minutes after the hour).

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ron

  10. #10

    convert Number into the text

    hi,
    I need to convert the value of number into its text.
    eg: 2455 must convert as two thousand four hundred and fifty five.
    if u know the answer please reply me.my e-mail [email protected]
    thank you
    chandima