How can force enable macros to be able to open my workbook?

  1. #1
    kcdonaldson
    Guest

    How can force enable macros to be able to open my workbook?

    I would like to be able to force employees to enable macros for a certain
    workbook or it will not let them open the workbook. And maybe put a password
    on it so if i would like to modify the workbook without the macros enabled.

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: How can force enable macros to be able to open my workbook?

    set up the workbook so that the only sheet showing is one with a message
    which says "You must enable macros for this workbook to work." in a large
    obvious font. Have the workbook password protected and all sheets
    veryhidden.
    In the workbook_Open event, hid that message-sheet & display the sheets
    which you'd need to have visible.
    So, if the user disables macros all they see is a sheet with a message on
    it; If the open it with macros enabled, the Open event will kick in and make
    the workbook work the way you want.
    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: How can force enable macros to be able to open my workbook?

    Give them a helper workbook that opens the real workbook.

    The helper workbook would have a macro that opens the real workbook. If macros
    are disabled, then the helper workbook's code won't run--and the real workbook
    won't be opened.

    The helper workbook would have code that looks like:

    Option Explicit
    Sub auto_open()
    Workbooks.Open Filename:=thisworkbook.path & "\book2.xls", _
    Password:="hithere"
    ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
    End Sub

    Remember to protect that project so that users can't snoop and find the password
    to open.

    (That said, that kind of protection is pretty weak and can be broken by any user
    who is dedicated.)

  4. #4
    Hernandez, Roberto
    Guest

    Re: How can force enable macros to be able to open my workbook?

    "kcdonaldson" <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje
    news:[email protected]...
    >I would like to be able to force employees to enable macros for a certain
    > workbook or it will not let them open the workbook. And maybe put a
    > password
    > on it so if i would like to modify the workbook without the macros
    > enabled.

    Regards!

    You can´t do it directly with Excel.
    You need to configure book to hide useful sheets when closing, an unhidding
    it when a correct password is typed when promt...

    For example, when you close your book (in the beforeclose event) you can
    hide your sheets with a set of lines like this one:

    Worksheets("Usefulsheet").Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden
    Worksheets("NonUsefulSheet").Visible = xlSheetVisible

    and in the Workbook_Open event something like:

    Worksheets("Usefulsheet").Visible = xlSheetVisible
    Worksheets("NonUsefulSheet").Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden

    So, if user disables macros at startup, will only see a nonuseful sheet,
    whit a sentence like: "you disabled macros when opening this book, close it
    and able macros when promt..."

    It's an easy but not 100% secure method...