Percentage Increase Calculation

  1. #1
    Karen
    Guest

    Percentage Increase Calculation

    How do you show a 100% increase from one year's sales to the next when year 1
    is zero?

    The formula keeps showing the divided by zero error?

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Percentage Increase Calculation

    You couldn't multiply $0 by 100% and get the amount you're looking for.
    Where I work....we report that increase as n.m. (not meaningful).

    If that's your company's convention, though, something like this may be what
    you're looking for:

    =IF(A1=0,100%,B1/A1)

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Percentage Increase Calculation (formula correction)

    Formula correction:
    =IF(A1=0,100%,(B1-A1)/A1)

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    Rusty
    Guest

    Re: Percentage Increase Calculation

    Hi Karen,

    What you are asking is mathematically impossible. When you divide any
    number by zero you get infinity, so Excel correctly shows "divide by zero".

    Look at it this way;
    If cell A1 contains 1 and B1 contains 5 then the increase is 500%
    If cell A1 contains 0.1 and B1 contains 5 then the increase is 5000%
    If cell A1 contains 0.01 and B1 contains 5 then the increase is 50000%
    The smaller the value in cell A1 the larger the answer. So by the time you
    get down to zero in cell A1, the increase is infinity!

    Cheers,
    Ken

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Mexico
    MS-Off Ver
    W7

    Re: Percentage Increase Calculation

    Hi Ron!!
    Thank you soooo much!! I have been working for two days trying to fix the formula for my Board meeting report!

    Regards from Mexico!!