SUMIF or IF or ???

  1. #1
    Vinay
    Guest

    SUMIF or IF or ???

    Prolly a simple question.

    I need a way to sumif with multiple CHOICES, not criteria.

    In other words something like this ..

    =sumif(a1:a200,or("Banana","Lemon"),b1:b200)

    Id rather not use the formula twice as I am referencing an external workbook
    and have many "Fruits" to choose from. The formula essentially becomes too
    long if I add up too many "Fruits"

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF or IF or ???

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A200={"Banana","Lemon"})*(B1:B200))

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF or IF or ???

    Also, maybe put the fruits in a range and use

    =SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:A200,L1:L20,0)))*(B1:B200))

  4. #4
    Vinay
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF or IF or ???

    Awesome !!!! ... I tried this minus one set of brackets around the array
    boolean formula. Without that it doesnt work ... Im guessing cause the
    multiplication then occurs before the boolean check.

    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

  5. #5
    Loris
    Guest

    RE: SUMIF or IF or ???

    if you only need to see the total forone tpe of fruit at a time, you might
    try a database sum function like the following: Where Column A contains the
    field name "Fruit", column B the field name "Amt." In the empty cells below
    a cell that we will call Criteria, cell C1 in this example, type the field
    name of the criteria you want to use, i.e., Fruit and belowthat, the name of
    the fruit you want to sum. Let's call those two cells C2 and C3. In another
    empty cell, (let's use D3) you put the formula: DSUM(A1:B29 [THE DATABASE
    RANGE],2[THE COLUMN CONTANING THE VALUES YOU WANT TO SUM],C2:C3[THE RANGE
    CONTAINING THE CRITERIA YOU WANT TO USE])
    Fruit Amt Criteria
    banana 2 Fruit
    apple 3 peach 21
    grape 4