Replace data with the result of a formula

  1. #1
    Jim K
    Guest

    Replace data with the result of a formula

    Hello,

    I have a long list of names in <first> <last> format and want to change them
    to <last>, <first> format. I know how to do this with a fomula, but want the
    column with the result to have the actual text, not the formula that produces
    the text.

    The only way I've figured out is to export the result of the formula to a
    text file and then read it in again to replace the original column of text.
    Is there a better way?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Place your formula in a blank column B (insert if needed). Copy Column B and in Column A use Paste Special>Values. Then Delete Column B.

    No formula remain.

    Does this work for you?

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Jim K
    Guest

    Re: Replace data with the result of a formula

    Hello Bruce,

    Absolutely perfectly! Did not know about the "paste special" function. Many
    thanks!

  4. #4
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks for the feedback, it is always appreciated.

    Cheers!