How do I merge new text into existing text cells.

  1. #1
    bweiner
    Guest

    How do I merge new text into existing text cells.

    I need to add the same text (.JPG) to existing text. I have over 4000
    existing cells to add this same file extension to. I can't seem to figure
    out how to do this without manually going into each cell.

    Any suggestions would be great.

  2. #2
    Göttingen, Germany
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office Pro Plus 2016
    enter .jpg into cell B61 for example and assume that you have filenames 10001 and 10002 running down the column starting in A61, A62 etc.
    Then type in to cell C61

    =+A61&$B$61

    The just drag the cell down to copy against each one.

  3. #3
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: How do I merge new text into existing text cells.

    Say your text is in column A and columns C and D are empty.
    In C1 enter ".JPG" without the quotes.
    In D1 enter =A1&$C$1
    Copy this down as far as needed. You can then select Column D and paste
    special values over column A before deleting Columns C and D.

    Alternately you could use a macro. Select all the cells you want to
    change and the run this:

    Sub addjpg()
    Dim cell As Range
    For Each cell In Selection
    If Not cell.HasFormula Then
    cell.Value = cell.Value & ".JPG"
    End If
    Next cell
    End Sub

    Save your work before trying either option.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan