remove last character in a series of different length part #'s

  1. #1
    leo
    Guest

    remove last character in a series of different length part #'s

    i have a series of part numbers in a column in xl that vary in length but
    all end in "v'. I want to remove just the "v". I tried text to coulmns and
    all the functions i know.

  2. #2

    Re: remove last character in a series of different length part #'s

    If the v only shows up in the last character, maybe just
    select your range
    edit|replace
    what: v
    with: leave blank
    replace all

    If you don't want to do that, maybe a helper column of cells:

    =left(a1,len(a1)-1)
    drag down
    copy|paste special|values
    and delete the original column

  3. #3
    leo
    Guest

    Re: remove last character in a series of different length part #'s

    worked like a chram, thx,leo

  4. #4
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: remove last character in a series of different length part #'s

    Hi leo,

    This removes the last charachter
    =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

    This removes the last charachter only if it is a "v"
    =IF(RIGHT(A1,1)="v",LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1),A1)

    Ed Ferrero
    http://www.edferrero.com