Closed Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

  1. #1
    create_share
    Guest

    can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    i have an excel workbook in which there are 3 sheets. in one sheet when i put
    any number it goes to the left side of cell and if i press the align left or
    center button it does not work. i even changed the category to number but
    still same problem. If i put english words, i can change everything.

    thankx!

  2. #2

    Re: can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    Try changing the cell's format to General.
    (Format|Cells|number tab)

    What was it formatted like before?

  3. #3
    create_share
    Guest

    Re: can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    i tried but it does not have any affect on the cell. still the problem is
    there. i have even cleared all the data and formatting but still if i put any
    number it goes to the left side and even if i try to calculate these numbers
    but using any formula, it doesn't count rather it shows the formula on the
    cell not the result.

  4. #4

    Re: can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    If you're seeing the formula instead of the results of the formula, then either
    you're viewing formulas:

    Tools|Options|View tab (to toggle that seting on/off)
    You have the cell formatted as text (format|cells|number tab)
    or you made a mistake in your formula entry
    (an extra space bar before the equal sign for example)

  5. #5
    KathyinCincinnati
    Guest

    RE: can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    I am having exactly the same problem. Alignment works fine for letters and
    symbols but will not work with numbers. I have two spreadsheets, one that is
    OK, one that is 'broken'. I have compared everything I can think of and can
    find no reason why the numbers insist on being on the left in one of the
    spreadsheets. The cell format says they should be centered, but they are
    not.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    Kathy

    Can you send me a copy of the "broken" file?

    Change the AT and DOT to @ and . to get my email address.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  7. #7
    Western NY
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 1997

    Re: can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    I had the same alignment problem with one Excel 1997 worksheet (out of many in that file). The worksheet with the problem was relatively large (~3000RX7C) and contained comments and formatting (no formulas). All the cells on the worksheet had the same problem - even if I inserted a new column and typed fresh numbers into them.
    Solution: I inserted a new worksheet, copied the entire faulty worksheet (by r-clicking the upper left most square of the worksheet border and selecting copy), and pasted it onto the new worksheet by the same manner. The number alignment problem was solved on the new worksheet. I then deleted the faulty worksheet and renamed the new one appropriately. Note: It seemed like the freeze pane attribute (to scroll but keep the same header row) did not paste over.

  8. #8
    Melbourne, Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    Thank you for your suggestion which worked beautifully. I have been trying for ages to figure out what I have done wrong and obviously, somehow the worksheet table I was working on must have become corrupted. I copied and pasted my entire table over to a new worksheet and now I can align my numbers anyway I want. Soooo....frustrating!...and now solved! Thanks again.

  9. #9
    USA
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    this has to do with the values being saved as Text vs Number.
    1. Select the entire column
    2. Select the "Data" tab
    3. Press the "Text to Columns" button under "Data Tools"
    4. For "Step 1" press "Next"
    5. For "Step 2" press "Next"
    6. For "Step 3" select "Text" as the "Column data format" and then press "Finish"
    7. When you go to check your columns they should all be aligned correctly

  10. #10
    Eugene, Oregon
    MS-Off Ver
    Mac v. 15.13.3

    Re: can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

    Bless your heart Johnny. Finally someone knew the answer to this very vexing problem. I fell in to a burnin' ring of far.
    Ba'ab

Closed Thread