Excel opening w/ garbage

  1. #1
    WLMPilot
    Guest

    Excel opening w/ garbage

    I save all my files on a CD. Today, I accessed two excel files that pertain
    to paychecks and mileage for tax purposes. After saving them by clicking the
    disk icon on the toolbar, I accessed them later only to have garbage come up
    on the screen. I noticed one thing different at the bottom of the excel
    window. It indicated "TEXT OPENING filename" with a progress bar. Then I
    get what looks like a lot of greek junk on the screen.

    Here is a sample of what is displayed: youyyuyeoyy.........
    Each letter as symbols over them, ie two dots or ` ^, and some
    letters/symbols are special characters.

    Can anyone please tell what is going?

    Thanks,
    Les

  2. #2
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: Excel opening w/ garbage

    > Can anyone please tell what is going (on) ?

    I can make a guess: "I save all my files on a CD"

    People used to (and still do) have similar problems when saving "live" Excel
    files to floppies. That was a bad idea. It still is. Live Excel files and
    temporary media just don't get along very well. Save them locally (or to a
    network) first and then copy the file to CD.

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    WLMPilot
    Guest

    Re: Excel opening w/ garbage

    Will saving the files that are messing up on the HD after I open them w/ the
    garbage displayed correct the problem? Is there a way to recover the data
    from the CD