Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Is there a way to crop text in an Excel cell?

  1. #1
    cochranrg
    Guest

    Is there a way to crop text in an Excel cell?

    Need to find a way to crop text in an Excel column. Want to crop any text
    past characters. Is there a way to do this?

  2. #2
    JCM
    Guest

    RE: Is there a way to crop text in an Excel cell?

    I would try using the text function MID(text,start_num,num_chars) which can
    "crop" any part of text you want.

  3. #3
    cochranrg
    Guest

    RE: Is there a way to crop text in an Excel cell?

    I've used MID in programming years ago, but don't really know how to use it
    in Excel. I'll look into it, thanks for the response.

    Rob

  4. #4
    wjohnson
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to crop text in an Excel cell?

    Select the column you want to divide, then - on the menu bar go to
    "Data" then select "TEXT TO COLUMNS and follow the information on the
    popup window. This will work, if the text you want to "throw away" is
    at approximately the same location in each cell. If you "see empty
    cells" - on the pop-up window use the slider bar to scroll down until
    you come to a cell with text. Then put the mouse icon where you want to
    divide the column and "click." Then continue to follow the directions
    on the popup window. Then delete the column you don't want.

    --
    wjohnson
    wjohnson's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m390

  5. #5
    cochranrg
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to crop text in an Excel cell?

    I'll try this. I did the MID thing, but this doesn't work for what I am
    trying to do (once I delete the original column of text of course my formula
    doesn't work any more). What I'm doing is converting a tab deliminated file
    to a csv file for internet upload. The csv file needs to be truncated to
    characters per column.

    Rob

  6. #6
    Stephen
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to crop text in an Excel cell?

    "cochranrg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'll try this. I did the MID thing, but this doesn't work for what I am
    > trying to do (once I delete the original column of text of course my
    > formula
    > doesn't work any more). What I'm doing is converting a tab deliminated
    > file
    > to a csv file for internet upload. The csv file needs to be truncated to
    > characters per column.
    >
    > Rob

    Select the results of your formulas and copy.
    Without changing the selected area, use
    Edit > Paste Special > Values
    This replaces the formulas with their results.
    You can then delete the original data.

  7. #7
    cochranrg
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to crop text in an Excel cell?

    Very cool, I will try this. Thanks!

    Rob