tick box, how to set up

  1. #1
    Tiddler
    Guest

    tick box, how to set up

    Hi can anyone explain (if possible) how to set up a tick box?

    I would like to left cliick on the mouse in a cell (to put tick in) and then
    use this tick in a IF statement on another.

    Thnaks again Matt

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: tick box, how to set up

    Hi!

    Here's some code by Bob Phillips and tweaked by Dave Peterson that does what
    you want:

    This procedure let's you click on a cell in a range (defined in the code)
    and places a "checkmark" in
    that cell.

    Option Explicit
    Dim myHeight As Double
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    On Error GoTo sub_exit
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A100")) Is Nothing Then
    With Target
    If .Value = "a" Then
    .Value = ""
    Else
    myHeight = .EntireRow.RowHeight
    .Value = "a"
    .Font.Name = "Marlett"
    .EntireRow.RowHeight = myHeight
    End If
    End With
    End If
    sub_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    This is sheet code.
    Right click the sheet tab and paste into the window that opens.

    Then, to use the checkmark in an IF formula you simply need to test the cell
    to see if it's empty or not.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: tick box, how to set up

    Slight typo:

    >This is sheet code.
    >Right click the sheet tab and paste into the window that opens.

    Should be:

    Right click the sheet tab and select View Code. Then paste the code into the
    window that opens.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Tiddler
    Guest

    Re: tick box, how to set up

    Thanks I think? Which section of code refers to "tick box" location and once
    I have pasted into sheet tab do I just close the window or save somehow?

    Sorry but I 'm fairly new to excel and probably in way to deep thanks for
    your help
    Matt

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: tick box, how to set up

    >Which section of code refers to "tick box" location

    This line:

    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A100")) Is Nothing Then

    Just change "A1:A100" to whatever range you want.

    >I have pasted into sheet tab do I just close the window or save somehow?

    After you paste the code you just close the VBE (click the "X")

    Now, when you select a cell in the defined range a checkmark will appear.
    Select that cell again and the checkmark will be removed.

    To use that in an IF formula you might do something like this (based on the
    cell having the checkmark):

    =IF(LEN(A1),do_something,do_something_else)

  6. #6
    Tiddler
    Guest

    Re: tick box, how to set up

    EXCELLENT i GOT IT WORKING IN COLUMN N BUT WOULD LIKE TO NARROW THAT DOWN TO
    N11-N14.
    CAN NARROW DOWN TO N14 bUT N1-10 CAN STILL BE TICKED
    (opps sorry about caps)

    Also is it possable to allow only one tick at a time

    Thanks So far keep it coming
    Matt

  7. #7
    Tiddler
    Guest

    Re: tick box, how to set up

    Ok was being silly have narrowed the range and all is fine, would still like
    a way to only tick one box at a time though.
    thanks

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: tick box, how to set up

    >would still like a way to only tick one box at a time though.

    Ok, that greatly complicates things!

    If that is your goal, to only be able to select one "checkbox" (cell with a
    tick mark) in the range N11:N14, then I would use option buttons. Only one
    option button can be selected at any time. To do this is completely
    different from what you have done so far.

    The first thing you would want to do is to delete that sheet code.

    Right click the sheet tab and select View Code.
    In the VBE, goto Edit>Select All
    Then Edit>Clear
    Then close the VBE

    Now, setup the option buttons:

    Back in the Excel worksheet:

    Right click any toolbar
    Select Forms
    The Forms toolbar should appear
    The option button is the one with the black dot in the middle of a "circle"
    Click on that then move your cursor to cell N11
    Left click and the option button is "dropped" in that location
    Now, adjust the size and placement to get it exactly where you want it

    Repeat the process for cells N12, N13 and N14.

    Now, if you want to use the status of which option button is selected as a
    condition in a formula:

    You have to link the option buttons to a cell:

    Right click any option button
    Select Format Control
    In the Cell Link box enter a cell location. Whenever an option button is
    selected, the linked cell will tell you which button is selected. It will
    display the number of which button is selected.

    Then you can base your formula on the value of that linked cell.

    If you get "lost" and would like me to do this for you just let me know how
    to contact you.

  9. #9
    Tiddler
    Guest

    Re: tick box, how to set up

    All sorted ou tnow thanks for the help!

    One Last Question

    I wish to Protect My work as it has taken a lot of effort to get it just
    right.
    Over the 2 padges of my spread sheet there is only maybe 12 cell that have
    veriable data (i.e user entry)

    How can I protect all but these cells including the option buttons?

    Also it is possable to disable the save option? on just this document???

    Many thanks agian Matt

  10. #10
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: tick box, how to set up

    Hi!

    If you used the option buttons:

    Right click each button
    Select Format Control
    Protection tab
    Make sure Locked is selected

    Now, to protect the worksheet:

    Select the entire sheet
    Goto Format>Cells
    Protection tab
    Make sure Locked is selected
    OK

    Now, select the cells that you want the users to be able to enter data in
    *AND* the linked cell for the option buttons.
    Goto Format>Cells
    Protection tab
    Uncheck Locked
    OK

    Goto Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet

    Depending on which version of Excel you are using, there will be various
    options for setting protection. Choose the ones you want.

    > Also it is possable to disable the save option? on just this document???

    That would require more VBA programming. I don't know how to do that
    specifically so you should ask that question in a new post.