how do I insert column headings or labels without using a row?

  1. #1
    column headings
    Guest

    how do I insert column headings or labels without using a row?

  2. #2
    Stephen
    Guest

    Re: how do I insert column headings or labels without using a row?

    "column headings" <column [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    You don't. Excel has plenty of rows - using just one isn't a problem!

  3. #3
    column headings
    Guest

    Re: how do I insert column headings or labels without using a row?

    Thanks.. But then the row numbering is "taken up" by the title and the
    "first" row of data is numbered 2. Is there a way to avoid this? Also, how do
    I designate this first row as a "Column Heading" so that it reprints on every
    page?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: how do I insert column headings or labels without using a row?

    You could hide row and column headings and then in A2 add a formula of
    =ROW(A1) and copy down. Colour the cells grey and voila.

    File>PAgeSetup>Sheet Rows to repeat as $1:$1

    Bob Phillips

    "column headings" <[email protected]> wrote in

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: how do I insert column headings or labels without using a row?

    You have to create your own numbering or use a real database like access or
    something (you can hide the default headers under tools>options>view> and
    uncheck row & column headers)
    you can put this in row 2 and copy down

    =ROW()-1

    2. Do file>page setup, select sheet and rows to repeat at top and if you are
    using row 1 use

    $1:$1

    Peo Sjoblom