Finding words

  1. #1

    Finding words

    Hi.

    I'm looking for a fonction or a macro to know if, in a reaserch, the excel found or if he didn't find what a asked (I use function find at text category to find words).

    Exemple:
    If he found at least 1 element, he returns 1.
    If he found nothing, he returns 0.

    Can you help me?

    thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Finding words

    Maybe you can use =countif()

    If you're looking for "research" anywhere in a1:A10, you could use:

    =if(countif(a1:a10,"research")>0,1,0)
    if "research" could be part of a longer string within any of those cells:

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Finding words

    Laura,

    =COUNTIF(A:A, "Laura")
    to count cells that are exactly Laura in column A, or
    =COUNTIF(A:A, "*Laura*")
    to count cells that contain Laura in column A.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...