Advanced filters in Pivot tables ?

  1. #1

    Advanced filters in Pivot tables ?

    Hello,

    Is it possible to use some kind of formulas to filter Pivot tables,
    like with the Auto-filter functionality ?

    For example, I have a pivot table showing me Customer information, but
    my customer codes start with a letter, then a numbering. Axxxx, Bxxx
    etc... Can I filter on this field for 'all customers starting with A ?'
    without having to tick/untick all records I want to see ? Or, on a date
    field, all dates between say 01/01/2005 and 15/09/2005 ?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Advanced filters in Pivot tables ?

    I go back to the original data and insert a new column.

    Then I create a formula that will help:

    =if(left(a2,1)="a","show it","hide it")

    or any formula that I want--no matter how complex
    =if(or(left(a2,1)={"a","b","c"}),"show it","hide it")

    Then I fill that formula down the column and when I build the pivottable, I use
    that field as a page field. I can show/hide what I want by just changing that
    formula, refreshing the pivottable, and choosing my option to show.