Is Excel good for storing data that constantly updates?

  1. #1
    Lallo
    Guest

    Is Excel good for storing data that constantly updates?

    I've been trying to decide if Microsoft Access would be better than Excel for
    storing large amounts of weekly, quarterly, and yearly sales reports for my
    restaurant business. I'm not sure if Access is the best fit ... any advice?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Is Excel good for storing data that constantly updates?

    Lallo

    It's an eternal question... I would err toward access and you can always use
    Excel to analyse the reports produced. You are limited to 65k rows
    (records) currently and that may mean changes too regularly

    Access is a database tool...you could enter it here and easily bring it into
    an excel pivot table to report via Data>Pivot table report or chart and then
    use external data as your source and navigate to your Access
    file/Table/Query

    Personal preference, but start in the correct tool and if it is overkill,
    move to Excel solely

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Is Excel good for storing data that constantly updates?

    What data are you storing
    Why are you storing this data?
    What will you do with the data?
    Do multiple people need to simultaneously revise this data?
    Do you need some protection against others changing entered values?
    How well do you know Excel?
    How well do you know Access?
    How much time can you devote to getting this system set up (including
    time spent learning the tool)?

    The answers to these and perhaps other questions would have a big impact
    on the answer to your question.

    Jerry