Book & Sheet templates

  1. #1
    mac@bath
    Guest

    Book & Sheet templates

    I have created a BOOK.xlt template (fairly basic- 3-tabs/verdana10pt/blue
    font/A4~l-s formatting).
    I then opened that book.xlt, deleted two tabs and re-saved as SHEET.xlt.
    Both are in the correct XL/XLStart folder in my C:/User folder. (together
    with my PERSONAL.xls)
    So far, so good....BUT
    Although every time I open Excel, my new template works a treat, if/when I
    then ADD (insert) a new/fourth sheet to that workbook I get a "Sorry, Excel
    has encountered an errror, needs to close and can we send an error report to
    Uncle Bill?" message.
    If I let it save the work and reopen, that same error message reappears
    immediately in the "repaired" version, so it goes back through the
    "sorry...tell Uncle" process" !!!.
    I end up closing excel. And climbing the wall in frustration!!!

    What am I doing wrong?? ANY ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.
    TIA
    --
    mac

  2. #2

    Re: Book & Sheet templates

    What happens if you just (temporarily) dump that sheet.xlt template and put a
    brand new one out there?

    If it works ok, then how about trying to recreate it once more?

  3. #3
    mac@bath
    Guest

    Re: Book & Sheet templates

    Thanks Dave, I'll certainly try that.
    But now, "Sxx's Law"...?

    I've just transferred - temporarily - to a new workstation in my office (see
    below). Profile has followed me, but, because all of my
    shortcuts/links/macros decided to go walkabout. I actually created a new BOOK
    and a new SHEET

    Both work absolutely flawlessley!!!!
    Two thoughts (and I will report back when I get back to my original
    W-Station...

    Firstly, I had a small (26k) jpeg corporate logo in both my BOOK and SHEET
    (the ones that had the problems).
    I have NOT put the logo's into my newly created ones.
    Wonder if the graphics link caused the fault??

    Secondly. My original machine was a Dell (720G ?) and I understand that the
    departmental IT guys identified a diagnostic problem on my mother-board ('B'
    light going orange on failed boot?) and Dell are now replacing the whole
    shebang.
    Wonder if THAT was my problem?

    I will report back later, in case my experiences help others.
    Meantime..."Thanks"

    --
    mac

  4. #4

    Re: Book & Sheet templates

    I wouldn't guess it was the small jpg, but who knows????

    And hardware problems??? I got nothing for that either <bg>.

  5. #5
    mac@bath
    Guest

    RE: Book & Sheet templates

    Reporting back on findings...

    Firstly I deleted the original "Sheet.xlt" that I had created as suggested
    Then I created a new one (but with same formating as my personal 3-tab
    "Book.xlt")
    The whole programme fell over again!!

    I thought that I had identified a reason when it appeared that I had two
    sheet.xlt's - one in the programme folder and one in my user profile folder
    (using NT200 with OffPro-XP). One was set to portrait, the other to
    landscape. However having deleted both BEFORE making my new one, it still
    fell over, so unlikely to have been the reason.

    I then created a new "Sheet.xlt" - but this time WITHOUT the small graphic
    in the footer.
    Works perfectly.

    Now the strange bit...

    In page preview of any workbook created with my book.xlt template, I get the
    graphic in the footer.
    In the page preview of the sheet.xlt I also get a perfect graphic in the
    footer.
    BUT
    When I insert a new sheet INTO an open workbook and then group/preview it, I
    get graphics on the three original tabs, but no graphics on the added
    sheet(s)_(even though it clearly has the graphic on the sheet.xlt).

    But it is when I try to SAVE the workbook (with the new/added sheets) that
    up pops the "Sorry I'm closing & telling Uncle Bill about you!!" message.

    Ther seems to be NO logic to this strange anomally.

    I've got round it by just deleting the graphic from the sheet.xlt.
    (O.K. it means I gave up!)

    Everything now works fine, but I just have to remember to group all tabs and
    THEN set page formating if I want to incoproate the company logo on ALL
    sheets.
    Frustrating, but I can live with it - until/unless someone can replicate and
    suggest a cure for my problem.

    Any thoughts out there?
    --
    mac

  6. #6

    Re: Book & Sheet templates

    I don't have any insights on why this happens for you.

    But maybe you could record a macro when you add the graphic. Then just rerun
    the macro when you need to add the logo to other sheets. Might make it a bit
    simpler.