Saving excel files

  1. #1
    A Samon
    Guest

    Saving excel files

    Is there a way to configure excel to actuall modify a spreadsheet that it is
    editing, as opposed to makeing a temporary copy of the file, and overwriting
    the edited file with a new file?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Saving excel files

    Not that I ever heard of.

    File>Save As a new name will not overwrite the original, but also the original
    will not have the edting changes.

    What are you looking to do?

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Saving excel files

    I don't quite understand what you are asking - if you SAVE the file as
    you work on it it will overwrite the original.

    Pete

  4. #4
    A Samon
    Guest

    Re: Saving excel files

    I currently have several thousand excel spreadsheets arranged in a
    hierarchial directory structure on a novell 6.5 server with hardlinks
    enabled. I have created a directory that has a hardlink to each spreadsheet
    in my directory structure. "hardlinks are way of createing a type of
    shortcut where the two files actually occupy the same inode" The problem is
    that a hardlink can be deleted, so when excel overwrites the file It
    effectivel breaks the hardlink, and now I have two files that are not the
    same. If excel could be configured to open/edit/save rather than open/create
    temporary copy/modify copy/overwrite original I would be in business. Thanks