Comparing Columns, Then copying data

  1. #1
    jdb
    Guest

    Comparing Columns, Then copying data

    I have two worksheets.

    The first is called Master list. Each row is unique...the first field is a
    unique ID number, the second field is a name.

    The second worksheet is called Orders. Each row is NOT unique, the first
    field is a name.

    I want to add the unique ID field from Master List to each record in Orders.

    So, I think I want to compare the name in Orders to the name in Master List
    and, if they are equal, copy the ID number to a new column.

    But I have no idea how to do that. I've tried if statements, but cannot get
    it right.

    Please help.

    Thank you.

    --
    Joe

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Comparing Columns, Then copying data

    One way would be to insert this formula in cell C1 of the Master List sheet
    and copy down as far as you have data in columns A and B.....

    =VLOOKUP(B1,Orders!A:A,1,FALSE)

    Then, do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values on Column C.....
    Where you have values in column C are the rows where you have exact matches
    between the two lists...........then manupulate the data to suit........

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3