Using Excel functions to color a cell

  1. #1
    Michael
    Guest

    Using Excel functions to color a cell

    Hey Guys.

    I was wondering if someone could help me. I am trying to write this little
    budgetary analysis tool for my boss... It does everything I need it to so
    far... pulls the data... cleans it ... performs an analysis and a forecast...
    but he wants it to be a little more visual/aesthetically pleasing... So, I am
    trying to create a red light, yellow light, green light graphic for him ...

    I need to write an excel formula for a few cells that will compare two
    numbers and color the cell appropriately based on the comparison.

    I want it to be something like this:

    =IF(A1>B1, color the cell green, IF(A1=B1, color yellow, IF(A1<B1, color
    red, else color white)))

    How do you change the color in the cell using an excel formula?

    I greatly appreciate any assistance you could offer.

    Thanks,

    -Michael

  2. #2
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Using Excel functions to color a cell

    You can do this with Format | Conditional Formatting. You specify the
    condition and choose the format you want for the cell - you can have up
    to 3 conditional formats by clicking Add (plus you also have the
    "normal" format), so this will cope with what you want to do.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: Using Excel functions to color a cell

    Great! Thanks Pete.