Selecting a list of numbers from a longer one

  1. #1

    Selecting a list of numbers from a longer one

    Hi, I really need help on this
    I have a long list of:
    item codes; description in next column; and then quantity in third column.

    I have another shorter list of item codes with data associated.

    How can I sort through the first list to find all of the second list without doing it one by one?
    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2

    Re: Selecting a list of numbers from a longer one

    If you have the long list on sheet1 and the short list on sheet2, you could use
    an extra column and a formula like:

    =isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0))

    This will return True if A1 was in column A of Sheet2.

    If you decide you want to return the data from that shorter list, you could use
    a formula like:

    =vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)

    (return what's in column B when there's a match in column A.)

    You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes: