countif wildcards?

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    TN
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365

    countif wildcards?

    I'm using the countif formula to look up certain keywords in a column(=COUNTIF(Sheet1!G1:G1170,"George"). In my column, there will be different entries other than just "George". There may be George Smith, George Jones, George Thompson, etc...etc...
    Is there a better formula that will return a result for all "george's". Right now, it doesn't return anything because of the various George's.

    Thanx.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: countif wildcards?

    Try

    =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"*George*")

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: countif wildcards?

    =COUNTIF(G1:G1170,"*george*")
    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    TN
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Pearson
    Try

    =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"*George*")

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
    www.cpearson.com

    "Ltat42a" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm using the countif formula to look up certain keywords in a
    > column(=COUNTIF(Sheet1!G1:G1170,"George"). In my column, there
    > will be
    > different entries other than just "George". There may be George
    > Smith,
    > George Jones, George Thompson, etc...etc...
    > Is there a better formula that will return a result for all
    > "george's".
    > Right now, it doesn't return anything because of the various
    > George's.
    >
    > Thanx.
    >

    > --
    > Ltat42a