How to enter data then move automatically to new cell?

  1. #1

    How to enter data then move automatically to new cell?

    Hi,

    I am entering lots of family history data into a spreadsheet. At the simplest I have columns (in cells A1 B1 C1) the headings, Surname, Forename, Year. Right now, I enter in cells A2 B2 and C2 say: Smith <Tab> John <Tab> 1555 <Enter, move mouse to the A column in the next row down). What I want to happen is when I have entered the last data in a row and pressed <Enter> I move automatically to the A-column in the next row down.

    Is this possible?

    Regards and a Merry Christmas to all

    Wibs

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How to enter data then move automatically to new cell?

    This is worksheet event and must be put in the sheet module. So, right click
    sheet tab>view code>copy/paste this>modify to suit>SAVE

    Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    If Target.Row > 1 And Target.Column = 3 Then ActiveCell.Offset(1, -3).Select

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How to enter data then move automatically to new cell?

    Have you considered a Data Form?

    Try this:
    A1: Surname
    B1: Forename
    C1: Year

    Select A1:C1
    Data>Form
    (Excel will give a warning...ignore it and click OK)

    A data form will open.
    [Tab] advances through fields
    Pressing [Enter] goes to the next record

    Something you can work with?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How to enter data then move automatically to new cell?

    If you have default excel settings and are using tab to go to the next cell,
    that is how it is supposed to work
    look under tools>options>edit and make sure move selection after enter is
    checked and it's set to down, then if you use the tab key it should go to
    the first column one row below when pressing enter

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

  5. #5
    JMay
    Guest

    Re: How to enter data then move automatically to new cell?

    No code required;
    Just highlight A2:C100
    and enter your data and TAB 100% of time (No use of Enter key.
    HTH

  6. #6
    Many thanks for the suggestion. Could you please explain what you mean by 'highlight'. You are not talking of 'selecting' A2:C100 are you?

    Regards

    Wibs
    Quote Originally Posted by JMay

  7. #7
    JMay
    Guest

    Re: How to enter data then move automatically to new cell?

    Yes, selecting is alternative lingo.
    Left Click and hold down on A2, and drag to C100 and
    release mouse button.

  8. #8
    My goodness.

    4 different methods proposed. All four work!!

    What a forum!

    Thanks to all

    Wibs