Excel question

  1. #1
    Jennifer
    Guest

    Excel question

    I have an equation in which i want to solve for a variable that is contained
    in both a linear function and a natural log function. I have been told I
    need to use Newtons method but dont know how to do this. Can anybody help?

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Excel question

    Explaining Newton's method would take too long.
    Try a numerical analysis textbook (or get a copy of my book Excel for Sci &
    Engineers)
    You might be able to solve your problem with Solver but you need to do some
    work first.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Excel question

    > I have an equation in which i want to solve for a variable that is
    > contained in both a linear function and a natural log function. I
    > have been told I need to use Newtons method but dont know how to do
    > this. Can anybody help?

    Excel's "Goal Seek" feature is sometimes useful in solving equations.

    For example, suppose you wanted to solve:
    X - 10 * LN(X) = 0
    for X.

    In A1 put 1 (one) as a first guess at the answer.

    In B1, put
    =A1-10*LN(A1)

    Then click
    Tools >> Goal Seek
    and use
    Set cell: B1
    To value 0 (zero)
    By changing cell: A1

    The answer will appear in A1. A number close to zero will appear in B1 (not
    always exactly zero because of precision limits).

    Behind the scenes, Excel uses some kind of iteration. Newton's method is
    one kind of iteration, but I don't know if Excel uses it.