re-ordering the list on a filter drop down

  1. #1
    Kylor
    Guest

    re-ordering the list on a filter drop down

    We have a spreadsheet that information is always being added to by one group
    and the agents of another just use the filter feature to find information.
    When new information is added to the sheet the list of options in the filter
    are not sorted. How do we get new information added to the sheet to appear
    in the filter's drop down list in sorted order? Right now, the new data
    appears at the top of the list of options in the drop down list instead of
    being sorted in with the existing list of options. Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: re-ordering the list on a filter drop down

    I use xl2003 and just tried setting up a worksheet. The dropdown list (used in
    the Data|filter|autofilter) was sorted no matter what I did.

    Ahhh.

    Maybe....

    Is your data numeric?

    Maybe your data is a combination of Text ('123 or the cell preformatted as Text)
    and real numbers???

  3. #3

    Re: re-ordering the list on a filter drop down

    ps. If you do have a combination of number numbers and text numbers, the
    solution is to settle on one version and use that.

  4. #4
    Kylor
    Guest

    Re: re-ordering the list on a filter drop down

    I bet that is the answer, the formatting of the new text is probably
    different from the original information. I'll check it out. Thanks!