Word Mail merge lables from .xls document

  1. #1
    ibexx
    Guest

    Word Mail merge lables from .xls document

    Office 2000 Windows XP Pro: I am trying to create Avery 8160 lables in WORD
    form an Excel database. . My sequence in WORD is as follows. Tools>Mail
    Merge>Create Main Document>Mailing Lables> Active Window>Get Data>Open Data
    Source. When I get to into folder that contains the .xls file the only files
    listed in that folder are WORD files. When I click on the File Type drop down
    menu at the botton of the OPEN DATA SOURCE window, the only options I have
    are "All Word Documents", "Word documents", "Web pages", "Rich text format",
    "Text files and "MS Access databases" (for what it's worth I don't even have
    M.S.Access but I do have Excel.). There is no "All Files" or "Excel
    databases" option. I have done this successfully in the past with Office 2000
    and XP Pro but it is not working now. Help

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Word Mail merge lables from .xls document

    Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Data Sources(ODBC)>User DSN and see what is
    listed.

    If Excel not listed, click Add and follow the route.

    If Excel is listed check Configuration and follow the route.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    ibexx
    Guest

    Re: Word Mail merge lables from .xls document

    Gordon,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Excel is listed in the data source
    administrator. When I enter Configure I see Data Source Name "Excel Files",
    Description is empty, Database version is "Excl 97-2000", Options>Driver rows
    to scan "8">Select Workbook>database name "xls". Where do I go from here?

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Word Mail merge lables from .xls document

    Never having had to go through this operation, I am just about as lost as you
    are<g>

    When I click on Help it lists the options. Try pointing to your Excel
    workbook thorugh the "Select Workbook" option.

    You say you used to be able to use Excel as a source for Word mailmerge.

    Have you changed your computer set up since?

    That is a pretty skimpy list of sources in the File Types dialog.

    I have at least 20 options.

    Not familiar with Office 2000(97, 2002 and 2003 installed).

    Is there a "detect and repair" on Excel Help?

    Can you you repair Office through Control Panel>Add/remove?

    Sorry. I'm not being much help other than chasing you around.

    I don't know why you have such a short list of sources.

    You sure you scrolled all the way down in the list box?

    Gord