Summing visable cells only

  1. #1
    Paully Shore
    Guest

    Summing visable cells only

    I have a worksheet with 8000+ rows. Some of the rows are hidden. I want to
    have a formula at the bottom of the rows that sums only the visable cells
    (non-hidden) rows. Any suggestions? (The rows are hidden and not filtered).
    --
    Thanks Buuuuddddy!

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Summing visable cells only

    =SUBTOTAL(109,A1:A8000) will give you what you need.

    Dave

  3. #3
    Paully Shore
    Guest

    RE: Summing visable cells only

    Dave, thanks for your quick response but when I tried that formula, I got
    #VALUE! as a result. I am familiar with =SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A8000) but what is
    "109". I cannot get that to work.
    --
    Thanks Buuuuddddy!

  4. #4
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Summing visable cells only

    What version of Excel are you using? "109" should ignore all hidden values,
    where as just "9" includes hidden values (in 2003 atleast)

    Dave

  5. #5
    Paully Shore
    Guest

    RE: Summing visable cells only

    Ahh, that may be my problem. I am using Excel 2002 version here. Is there
    anyway you (or anyone) know of to do this with the 2002 version. thanks
    again!!!
    --
    Thanks Buuuuddddy!

  6. #6

    Re: Summing visable cells only

    You can use a userdefined function:

    Option Explicit
    Function SumVisible(rng As Range) As Double

    Application.Volatile True

    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim mySum As Double

    mySum = 0
    For Each myCell In rng.Cells
    If myCell.RowHeight = 0 _
    Or myCell.ColumnWidth = 0 Then
    'do nothing
    Else
    If Application.IsNumber(myCell.Value) Then
    mySum = mySum + myCell.Value
    Next myCell

    SumVisible = mySum

    End Function

    When I hid/unhid a column, the UDF didn't recalculate (xl2003). You may want to
    force a recalc before you trust the results.

    Short course:

    Open your workbook.
    Hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros/UDF's live)
    hit ctrl-R to view the project explorer
    Find your workbook.
    should look like: VBAProject (yourfilename.xls)

    right click on the project name
    Insert, then Module
    You should see the code window pop up on the right hand side

    Paste the code in there.

    Now go back to excel.
    Into a test cell and type:
    =sumvisible(a1:a8000)

  7. #7
    Paully Shore
    Guest

    Re: Summing visable cells only

    You rule!! This did the trick. I couldn't figure out how to use a macro to
    recogize a hidden cell. I didn't think of using "myCell.RowHeight = 0".
    Thanks again!!!
    --
    Thanks Buuuuddddy!