Can Excel alert me to a duplicate entry?

  1. #1
    PeterM
    Guest

    Can Excel alert me to a duplicate entry?

    First of all a happy happy Holiday greetings from a grateful reader here.
    You guys are the best.....I'm wondering if it is possible, if Excel can
    notify me if I enter a duplicate number into a cell. I need to enter serial
    numbers of inventory, and sometimes I get my sheets mixed up, and enter the
    same info again. Can that be avoided??????

  2. #2

    Re: Can Excel alert me to a duplicate entry?

    Maybe...

    Chip Pearson has some techniques at:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    First of all a happy happy Holiday greetings from a grateful reader here.
    You guys are the best.....I'm wondering if it is possible, if Excel can
    notify me if I enter a duplicate number into a cell. I need to enter serial
    numbers of inventory, and sometimes I get my sheets mixed up, and enter the
    same info again. Can that be avoided??????

    You can do this to prevent duplicate entries in a column:

    1. Select a range where entries will be made (e.g., Cells A1:A500)
    2. Go to Data/Validation/Custom
    3. Enter this formula =countif($A$1:A500,A1)=1
    4. Select "Error Alert" tab and enter any appropriate message

    Regards.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX

  4. #4
    JR
    Guest

    RE: Can Excel alert me to a duplicate entry?

    ....another way to do it would be conditional formatting. In the second cell
    from the top, go to "Format" then "Conditional Formatting". Change the drop
    down from "Cell is" to "Formula is" then type =A2=A1 and choose a format
    (highlight yellow or something). Then copy A2 and Paste Special...Formats
    as far down the page as you need to. You can then occasionally sort you
    serial numbers and duplicates will highlight yellow.